The 2022 Summit on Race and Inclusion: Uniting Our Voices!
Since 2001, the Lakeshore Ethnic Diversity Alliance Summit on Race and Inclusion has led the way in advancing racial equity and promoting understanding of issues related to diversity and inclusion in our region.
Our 2022 Summit will be held in person on June 7, 2022 at Hope College, Holland, MI from 9:00 am to 4:15 pm. There is also a virtual option.
Now, at our 17th annual conference, we see the urgency all around us in developing and enhancing understanding and driving solutions forward. The Summit examines the effects of racial inequities. It explores strategies for their elimination at a day-long conference involving hundreds of participants from across the state of Michigan and beyond. It is designed to engage community members and key stakeholders in eliminating racial barriers.
We are very proud this year to present as our keynote speakers two gifted speakers and authors:
- Isabel Wilkerson, winner of the Pulitzer Prize and the National Humanities Medal, is the author of The New York Times bestsellers, The Warmth of Other Suns and Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents. She has become an impassioned voice for demonstrating how history can help us understand ourselves, our country and our current era of upheaval.
- Rev. Dr. Jennifer Harvey is an award-winning author, educator and public speaker. Dr. Harvey’s most recent books, Raising White Kids and Dear White Christians, brings Jen’s experience as an anti-racist activist and educator to bear on conversations about how white communities can more deeply support racial justice work being led by communities of color.
Every attendee, whether in person or virtual, will have access to all 2022 Summit video recordings. These video recordings will be available a few weeks after Summit.
Participants come to . . .
- Learn how discrimination affects communities economically and socially
- Understand how racial inclusion benefits everyone
- Learn tools to make a positive difference in our community
- Join others to develop concrete plans for shaping a prosperous, inclusive future
. . . and so much more! Check out the details of previous Summits below.
Questions about the Summit?
How is this Summit on Race and Inclusion different from the last two years?
The 2022 Summit will be a hybrid event. You can attend in person at Hope College, Holland, MI or you can attend virtually. Whether you attend in person or virtually, you should download the Whova app to both your phone and your computer. We have designed it to be as interactive as possible by using a conference app that you can access through your computer or mobile device. Within 1-2 days after you register for the Summit, you will receive a welcome message inviting you to connect to the Summit conference app. Once you join, you will then be able to sign up for your breakout sessions. You will also be able to start networking with other Summit attendees right away! Additional Summit information will also be provided through the conference app.
Who can Participate?
The Summit on Race and Inclusion is open to the public. Anyone who is interested in the intersections of race in daily life is welcome to join. Professionals in business, government, education, faith, and health sectors are all encouraged to participate.
How often does the Summit happen? Is it on the same day each year?
The Summit on Race and Inclusion is held every year in late spring or summer. This year’s Summit will be held as a hybrid event, in-person or virtual on June 7.
To view more details about previous Summits on Race and Inclusion, check out our reports below.